CASAA reported in March (here) that the FDA has published an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPRM) regarding flavored tobacco and vapor products. The purpose of an ANPRM is to gather information about a topic from many different stakeholders. Responses are then used to develop a proposed rule, which will have its own comment and review period.
As part of the effort to provide as much relevant information as possible to the FDA regarding the role that flavors play in consumers’ decisions to use smoke-free tobacco and vapor products, Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos has developed a survey. This survey will provide valuable information regarding patterns of use and help address some of the questions posed by FDA in the ANPRM.
Please take 10 – 15 minutes today to take this important *survey.
(As you complete the survey questions,
make sure you scroll all the way down
before advancing to the next page.)
*Please note: This survey is not being conducted by CASAA. If you have any issues, questions or complaints about the survey, please do not contact CASAA. Contact information for the researchers is listed at the bottom of the first page of the survey.
Once you’ve taken the survey, come back and help spread the word. It is important that this effort includes a large sample of vapor consumers–not just the dedicated thousands who are involved with CASAA.
Here are some materials you can share on social media and as flyers around town.
- Download this image to share on social media (click here)
- Download and print this flyer for shops and public bulletin boards (click here)
In addition to participating in Dr. Farsalinos’s survey, please also take some time to share your personal experience on Regulations .gov. (You may submit as many comments as you wish.)
Points to think about and include in your comments:
- Why you decided to try a smoke-free product.
- What role did the flavor play in your motivation to try?
- What flavors do you use regularly and how often do you switch between flavors?
- How long have you been smoke-free? (If you are still smoking, how much have you reduced?)
- Did you use cigarettes and smoke-free products for a period of time (“dual use”) before completely switching to a smoke-free product?
At this time, CASAA is reviewing the ANPRM on flavors in order to develop specific guidance for consumer comments.
The ANPRM on flavors is another opportunity for consumers to engage the FDA, lawmakers, and the media regarding the benefits of switching to smoke-free products like e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. CASAA believes that consumer testimonials are powerful and important, and we urge our members to participate.
Thanks for reading and for your participation!